Is it a Good Idea to Get an Attorney to Review the Prenup?
Before signing a prenuptial agreement, have our Tampa family law attorney review it first to ensure your rights are protected.
While some may consider it unromantic, having a prenuptial agreement provides numerous benefits to both you and your partner. It opens lines of communication regarding financial matters and clarifies important issues that could impact both your rights and your future relationship with your spouse. Before signing a prenup or presenting one to your partner, have our experienced Tampa family law attorney review it. We can ensure that it conforms to legal requirements, contains the necessary provisions, and protects your overall rights.
Do I Need a Prenuptial Agreement?
Prenuptial agreements often get a bad rap. There is a common misconception that they indicate a lack of trust in your partner or lack of faith in your relationship. Nothing could be further from the truth. Under the Florida Statutes, a prenup simply clarifies important matters regarding your rights and obligations in terms of property and assets. While there are provisions pertaining to divorce and marital asset distribution, a prenup accomplishes so much more:
- It encourages you to communicate openly about finances, one of the issues couples fight about most;
- It provides a complete inventory of all property and assets each party owns;
- It clarifies attitudes about money and the lifestyle you expect to live once you are married;
- It clarifies rights and responsibilities regarding business interests, inheritances, and other important assets;
- It includes estate planning provisions in the event something happens to you or your spouse.
A prenuptial agreement can actually strengthen your marriage by allowing you to discuss such sensitive and potentially volatile issues upfront. However, it is important to recognize that it does also impact your rights in the event of a divorce, and prior to creating one or signing a prenup you are presented with, it is important to have it reviewed by an experienced family law attorney.
What Will an Attorney Look for When Reviewing a Prenup?
A prenuptial agreement is a legally binding document that can impact your rights in divorce proceedings held through the Hillsborough County Court. Having an attorney create this document for you or review any prenups you are presented with before signing can help to avoid common issues that can result in it being declared invalid, such as:
- A prenup that unduly favors one spouse over another;
- A prenup that was signed under fraud or duress;
- A prenup that omits certain property or assets;
- A prenup that fails to address important issues or includes provisions not allowed by the court, such as child custody and support arrangements.
Our Tampa Family Law Attorney is Here to Help
At the Law Offices of Mark G. Rodriguez, P.A., we can assist you in creating a prenuptial agreement and in ensuring any prenups you sign are in your best interests. To request a confidential consultation with our Tampa family law attorney, reach out and call at 813-227-9642 or contact our office online today.