What Can I Do if My Ex Does Not Let Me See My Child?

Our Tampa child custody attorney protects your rights as a parent.

As a parent, developing a close and loving relationship with your child is a top priority. Unfortunately, in the aftermath of a break-up, it is not uncommon for one parent to refuse to allow the child to spend time with the other. As an experienced Tampa child custody attorney, one of the most common questions we hear from clients is, ‘What can I do if my ex doesn’t let me see my child?’ Fortunately, there are legal actions we can take to help protect this important relationship and your rights as a parent.

Your Right to be Included in Child Time-Sharing Plans

Children generally do better when both parents play an active and engaged role in their lives. As a result, section 61.13 of the Florida Statutes encourages child time-sharing arrangements, which protect the rights of all the parties involved.

Parenting plans dictating the amount of time each parent gets to spend with the child are usually negotiated as part of divorce proceedings and are reflected in any final divorce orders issued in your case. If you are unmarried and your ex refuses to allow you visitation, we can initiate child time-sharing arrangements as part of a separate legal action. Factors the judge is likely to consider in determining the amount of time the child spends with each parent include:

  • The current and past relationship between each parent and the child;
  • Each parent’s proven ability to provide for the child and meet their needs;
  • The ability of both parents to cooperate with each other in implementing parenting plans;
  • Any issues, such as allegations of domestic violence or drug and alcohol abuse, that could jeopardize the child’s safety and well-being.

Enforcing Child Time-Sharing Orders in Tampa

Once a child time-sharing order is issued through the Hillsborough County Family Court, both parents are legally required to follow it. If your ex refuses to comply with the terms of the order and does not let you see your child, you can take them back to court.

As the willingness to cooperate with each other is a factor in allocating parenting time as well as parental responsibilities, the other parent’s unwillingness to do so will reflect badly on them. As a result, the parenting plan could end up being modified, allowing you even greater flexibility in spending time with your child and in making important decisions on their behalf, such as regarding their education, medical care, and religious upbringing.

Get Our Tampa Child Custody Attorney on Your Side

Since 1988, the Law Offices of Mark G. Rodriguez, P.A. have acted as a strong legal advocate on behalf of parents in the Tampa area. In cases where your ex does not allow you to see your child or fails to comply with child time-sharing orders, we take the legal actions needed to protect your rights. To request a consultation, call 813-227-9642 or contact our Tampa child custody attorney online today.